Further trusted online resources in systems thinking and complexity, mindfulness, and the basics of collaboration. (Links to further training in collaboration are in the How to Bring out the Best in Others section)
- Systems Thinking Resources. Tools and underlying philosophy of systems thinking approaches.
- Places to Intervene in a System. A classic essay by Donella Meadows.
- Acting Wisely in Complex Situations. Tools for making decisions in an uncertain world
Tools for Better Collaboration
- The Art of Hosting an overview of The Art of Hosting Community of key practices, with some described further, below
- Open Space World Open Space (Technology) is a simple way to run productive meetings that address the individual concerns all the participants have
- The World Cafe is a powerful process for groups of any size to talk about what is meaningful to them in common
- Conversation Cafe. Resources to support starting informal, simple but powerful conversations.
- The Appreciative Inquiry Commons. Appreciative Inquiry is a simple but profound approach to bringing out the best in people, organizations, and communities. This the online home of the appreciative inquiry practitioner community.
- The Art of Powerful Questions. A brilliant guide to creating and working with powerful questions. The basis for all good participatory design.
- Liberating Structures. A simple and very user-friendly quick guide to dozens of collaborative methodologies.
- Civic Engagement and the Restoration of Community. An excellent resource from Peter Block on changing the nature of the conversation within community
- Meg Wheatley’s Principles for supporting a healthy community. From the author of Leadership and the New Science
- Strategy Tools for Community Planning. From the community problem-solving team at MIT.
Other Powerful Methods for Wise Action
- Scenario Planning Resources Tools for groups to learning about the future by understanding the nature and impact of the most uncertain and important driving forces affecting us.
- Theory U A framework for best proceeding form inspiration or challenge to action
- A Handbook for Formal Consensus Decision Making – by C.T. Butler and Amy Rothstein
- Consensus Decision-Making Tools – collected by Tree Bresson
- The Art of the Focused Conversation – Overview of ORID, a great tool for focusing conversations and leading into dialogue.
- The Interview Matrix – Instructions and forms for using a powerful brainstorming and dialogue tool (.pdf)